Sunday, December 18, 2011

Recent Reads

Now that I've posted on my blog for the first time in four months, I figure I'd better stick with it. My goal is to have more than one blog post for the month of December, and I haven't got much time left! I thought I'd discuss some of the books I've read recently (keep in mind: I teach elementary school and don't have the time/energy to read really intellectually stimulating books. This is as good as it gets people).

Book 1: Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Yes, I bought into this craze. I had heard a lot of buzz about the books from my students but ALSO (more notably) from coworkers, and I have a soft spot for fantasy/science fiction children's literature, so I figured I'd check it out. 
Let me just say, this was a GREAT book. And a very enjoyable story for adults (in fact, the real depth of this story and its commentary on society probably goes way over most children's heads). I can't wait until the movie comes out!

Book 2: Matched by Ally Condie
I first saw this book on the shelf at our school book fair (Lame, I know). When I read the description, it sounded like a book I would have loved reading when I was younger. After looking up the book online, I realized it was not so much a "kids" book as "teen fiction" (made me feel a little less like a nerd for wanting to read it) and had fabulous reviews. It was compared to The Giver by Lois Lowry and Hunger Games...since I liked both of those books, I had to give it a try.
This was also a great book! A fun, easy read, but the story has enough substance to it that it doesn't make you feel as though your brains are turning to mush for reading it. Which is good.

Both of these books have sequels, so my reading list will be full for a while. Now I just have to cross my fingers and hope I get some of those sequels as Christmas/birthday gifts! (hint hint, family)

No comments:

Post a Comment